Palliative medicine is provided by the Survivorship and Supportive Care Service (SOS). Call for a consult when a patient has advanced life-limiting illness, such as cancer, COPD, ESRD, CHF, or dementia.
We can help patients with:
- Unacceptable symptom distress
- Initiation and management of PCA, narcotic pump for chronic cancer pain
- Patient and family meetings to achieve goals of care
- Mediating family/patient/team conflict
- Facilitating interdisciplinary action plans
We can help the team with:
- Helping to avoid “bounce back” admissions
- Transitioning to a skilled nursing facility, comfort care plan, or home hospice care
- We help throughout all stages of any advanced life-limiting illness.
- We can help patients who are receiving life-prolonging treatments, including chemotherapy and/or radiation.
Hospice is a plan for patients in the final phase of advanced life-limiting illness. Hospice care is provided in many settings, including nursing homes, inpatient facilities, “hospice house” locations, or private homes.
TO CONTACT THE SOS TEAM:
- Page the Hospital operator at 4-1077
- Call the SOS/Palliative Care pager at 262-4093
To view a brochure click here.