We pledge to extend every effort to make our patients and their families experience at Stony Brook Medicine as comfortable and satisfactory as possible. The department of Patient Advocacy is staffed by patient advocates who are available to help with matters concerning hospitalization, answer questions, listen to suggestions, opinions and address many non medical needs. Patient advocates are available to all inpatients, outpatients and Emergency Department patients Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. Listed below are some of the services patient advocates provide to patients and family.
- Act on behalf of patients in seeking solutions for special needs, problems, or concerns of patients, family members and visitors.
- Answer any questions you may have about your rights and responsibilities as a hospital patient.
- Answer questions regarding the Healthcare Proxy Law and offer assistance in formulating a healthcare proxy.
- Address questions concerning services of the Ethics Committee.
- Assist in obtaining sign language and foreign language interpreters.
- Receive your compliments or suggestions about staff and service.
- Provide information on local accommodations, transportation, parking, maps.
- Visit while you are in the hospital to ensure a pleasant stay and enhance patient comfort.
- Provide links to other services within the hospital.
Contact a Patient Advocate
Share a compliment about a staff member of department by
writing to the Department of Patient Advocacy.
Compliments are shared with staff and hospital leaders.
You have the right to contact us when something is wrong
too. You can reach our Department to discuss
the nature of your complaint with us. We
will provide an investigation that will include speaking with you and your
family, speaking with the persons involved in your complaint, reviewing all
appropriate documentation and collaborating on a possible resolution. You can expect that we will resolve your
complaint in a timely manner.
You also have the right to contact an outside
agency to file your complaint. Or if you
prefer, you can contact the New York State Department of Health at 1-800-804-5447
or the Joint Commission at 1-800-994-6610 or via email at email@example.com
We recognize that being ill and in the hospital can be a difficult time for patients and families and assure you of our commitment to offer our assistance should the need arise.
Contact us: Department
of Patient Advocacy
Brook University Hospital
Lobby, Level 5, Room 540
Brook, New York 11794-7522
Your Patient Representative/Advocate (1:55) (Español)
Patient advocates are available to assist patients in a number of ways. Find out more about this service and how a patient representative can help you. Please note that the new hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.